Thursday, October 17, 2013

What Jesus Wants


Luke 5:12-13 - While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy. And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately the leprosy left him.

I was shy as a child. I was often afraid to ask someone else for something I wanted because I was afraid they would not want to give it to me. The other person would need to stop what they were doing, take time and attention away from their own affairs, and do something for my benefit. It might even cost them something. I hated the thought of someone else sacrificing for me. I also hated the risk they might reject my request.

Sometimes that attitude still affects my prayers. Would Jesus really want to do something for me? The leper in Luke 5 seems to have a similar mindset. He does not doubt that Jesus has the power to heal him. The only question is if he wants to.

The Greek word thelo is translated “will” in most Bible versions but encompasses the concept of desire and want. Do you want chocolate or vanilla? The person wanting chooses based on their desires.

Notice Jesus’ response. A good translation is: “I want to.” Jesus wanted to see the leper set free. Just as Jesus wanted to meet the leper’s need and cleanse him of that dreaded skin disease. He wants to help us. Let’s ask in confidence. Answering our requests is not a burden to him. It is what he wants to do.

No comments: