Friday, October 11, 2013

Purposeful Moves

Luke 4:42-43 - And when it was day, he departed and went into a desolate place. And the people sought him and came to him, and would have kept him from leaving them, but he said to them, “I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose.”

It can be hard to leave when things are going well. I recently left two jobs I loved in Washington State, lots of friends, great opportunities, a fun city, and one of the best seasons of life Keira and I have ever experienced. We were not looking to move. When the invitation came to move to a new position in Florida, I laughed out loud. Why would we leave? Yet, in many specific and unmistakable ways it became clear that this move was God’s plan for us. We gave up a lot and faced many unexpected and painful challenges along the way, but I can truly say I am glad to be here at Southeastern University. Sometimes God’s purpose for us involves changes that do not always make sense at the time.
After a tough time in his hometown of Nazareth, Jesus received rave reviews in Capernaum. He performed many miracles, and the people loved him. Yet he knew he needed to move on. The people begged him stay, but he understood God’s purpose for him involved a move. It may be that you are in a place where you will need to make a move that is uncomfortable. That does not mean it is not the right thing to do.

No comments: