Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Struggle with Doubt?

Luke 1:18a (NAS) Zechariah said to the angel, “How will I know this for certain?

Poor Zechariah. He and his wife Elizabeth had faithfully served God their whole lives and wanted nothing more than to bear and raise a child. Yet, in spite of their constant prayers and good living, no child ever came. Then one special and strange day, perhaps the only day of his life Zechariah was allowed to offer incense in the temple, he was visited by an angel with the promise of having a son.

I really identify with Zechariah. Can any of us blame him for his doubt after so many years of disappointment? Yet, he was rebuked by the angel Gabriel: “And behold, you shall be silent and unable to speak until the day when these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their proper time.” (vs 20) He should have believed. He was in the temple – the very presence of God. He had been praying, and God answers persistent prayer (See Luke 18:1-7). He was even given the promise by an angel, but Zechariah’s disappointment had weakened his faith. All the years of counting on an immediate answer to his prayers blinded him to the real answer.

How do you think he felt about that rebuke? I know I would have felt guilty. I failed to trust and believe when it really mattered. My doubt in God would have shifted to doubt in my own qualification to receive anything from God. I would have believed that I missed my chance, but notice that Zechariah’s doubt does not disqualify him from God’s promise. Notice also that even the disciplinary punishment became a faith building sign. Zechariah was not able to speak. That was a sign to him, Elizabeth, and everyone else that an all-powerful God was at work in his life. If God could keep him from speaking, he could enable them to bear a child.

You may be dealing with doubt and disappointment in your own life. If so, you may identify with Zechariah, too. Trust in God. He is faithful. When those times comes that your faith fails, just remember your doubt does not disqualify you from receiving His promise.

No comments: