Wednesday, February 5, 2020

How to Win


John 21:21-22 (ESV) – When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

It is hard not be driven to compare myself to others to see where I stand. I know I am not alone in this. The biggest events around the world are athletic competitions. There will be winners and losers. Hard Rock Stadium was full for Super Bowl LIV with people paying more than $4,600 for the cheapest seats in the house (according to TicketCity). Most of those 62,000 sacrificed to feel the thrill of the game in hope their team would win.

Most of us tend to bring that competitive spirit into other parts of life. Have you had others accelerate when you started to pass them on the highway? Has a formerly lazy coworker ever started to work hard when you seemed to be a threat? Have you wanted to know how you well you are doing and looked at the others around you to see how your performance compared to theirs as the way to tell?

Jesus had just given Peter some very good and some very hard news before Peter asked this question. Jesus restored Peter’s ministry calling with three summons that clearly countered Peter’s three denials of Jesus a few days before. Then Jesus warned Peter his death would be through martyrdom. (See John 21:15-19) Peter then turned to see John following and asked that comparative question, “What about this man?” Peter may have wondered if he was the more favored disciple, if he would have more success in his ministry, or if his death would be more painful.

If Jesus had answered Peter with a direct answer of how he and John compared, Peter’s heart may have swollen with pride or fallen in discouragement, riding the emotional pendulum that comes from living a comparative life. However, Jesus did not answer Peter’s question the way he hoped. He said, “What is that (my plan for John) to you? Follow me.”

I believe Jesus has the same answer for us when we are tempted to compare our performance or our futures with others: “Follow me.” Jesus’ path for you is not the same as his path for me or anyone else. Certainly, we can learn from others around us, but, in life’s game, there is only one way to win: follow Jesus yourself.

No comments: