Thursday, August 16, 2018

You Are Not What We See


Judges 6:12 - And the angel of the Lord appeared to him and said to him, “The Lord is with you, O mighty man of valor.” (ESV) 

Gideon was anything but a mighty man of valor. He was grinding wheat hiding in the bowels of winepress instead of the easier, but exposed, threshing floor that was designed for it. His people were oppressed. He was scared, but the angel greeted him with two powerful Hebrew nouns, gibor and hayil, either of which on its own was used for the strongest of heroes.

Gideon did not look like a mighty person of valor. Gideon did not act like a mighty person of valor, but God saw more in him than anyone else could. God saw the real Gideon and called it out of him. Gideon went out to lead an incredible victory that brought freedom and deliverance to the people of Israel.

What was true for Gideon is true for you. You are more than you can see. You are more than any of us can see when the LORD is with you. As Gideon experienced, living out our new identity is not always easy, but the world changes when we choose to live as the mighty people of valor we were created to be.

1 comment:

Pastor Andres "Richie" Gomez said...

Dr. Ehler, thank you for sharing... we often think less of us, just because of fear or because what other said before us. When I looked back and reflect on my journey I was hiding too, and scare, but I had the courage of listen to what God said about me... I thank God that "I am not what I see."