Friday, November 14, 2014

In My Place

Luke 23:25 (ESV) He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, for whom they asked, but he delivered Jesus over to their will.

Barabbas was a terrorist and a murderer. There was no question of his guilt and responsibility with so many witnesses. He was held in prison by the Romans for leading an insurrection. In all likelihood, he was scheduled to be executed without any hope until some surprising events occurred one day. A homely teacher from the redneck land of Galilee had been dragged to the Roman governor Pontius Pilate by the chief priests who were jealous of his growing influence among the people.

Pilate tried this Jesus to placate the Jewish leaders, but he found no guilt in him. The charges the Jewish leaders put on Jesus were obviously trumped up and of no real consequence. Time and again, Pilate tried to let Jesus go, but the leaders kept calling for his crucifixion. Then Pilate thought of another way out. It was the Passover Feast. He had established a tradition of releasing a prisoner to the people. He thought the people would surely ask for Jesus. Instead, the priests had paid off the loudest to call for that man named Barabbas – the murder and terrorist – to be released. After one last failed attempt to persuade the crowd, Pilate gave in.

Imagine you were Barabbas: obviously guilty, expecting to be executed any day. In one moment, your life is changed. Another carries the cross you were supposed to carry. Another is executed on that same cross. That other dies were you were supposed to die. The biggest difference is he was completely innocent while you are completely guilty.

In a real sense, what happened to Barabbas happens to all of us who believe in Jesus. He took my place. He suffered the punishment I deserve. Although I may not have committed murder or led an insurrection, I have been guilty of doing bad and wrong things from my childhood on. (I could tell stories of my sin all day.) I do not deserve eternal life or a relationship with God in this one. Yet, this perfect savior died in my place on that cross so that by believing in him I can have new life – eternal life. (See Romans 5:8) I, the guilty criminal, am free.

Jesus died in your place, too. There is no sense in both of you suffering for your wrongs. Receive his forgiveness today.

No comments: