Monday, February 3, 2014

Some Will

Luke 9:61-62 -  The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

I have a problem. It is my biggest weakness: I want everyone to like me. I expect that if I do the right thing in the right way everyone will agree with it, there will be no conflict, and I can be everyone’s hero – or at least no one will be angry with me. Jesus here lets me – and anyone else who suffers from anthroareskosis (people-pleasing) – know that the best decisions and actions will produce opposition.

Luke has been showing a progressive increase in Jesus’ mission from calling a few followers in Chapter 5, to larger crowds and miracles through Jesus’ own hands through Chapter 8, to multiplying Jesus’ ministry through the hands of the Twelve Apostles in Chapter 9. Now, in Chapter 10 Jesus’ mission multiplies again through seventy others with the urgent call for more workers for the Lord’s harvest (Luke 10:2). That harvest was the twofold mission of helping people with tangible, physical needs through healing and the verbal presentation of the more critical Good News of God’s Kingdom (Luke 10:9). Yet, no matter how good the news was or how real and helpful the healings were, Jesus gave all those messengers specific instructions, especially what to do when  – not if – people rejected them and their message (Luke 10:10-15).

It is so tempting to look for a physical report card in people’s reaction to us and our message. Even when we try to help, some will reject us and our efforts. However, Jesus’ message is also clear: some will receive us and our message. Some will listen. These and their eternal life change will make it all worthwhile.

No comments: