Monday, November 11, 2013

The Golden Rule is Still Golden

Luke 6:31 - And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. (ESV)  

I must have been no more than three years old when my mother first used these words to curb my frustrated abuse of my one year old sister: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I don’t think a toddler was much of a threat to my massive three year old self, but I remember the message clearly. It was repeated over and over at home, at Sunday school, throughout life. I learned it as the Golden Rule: How would I like to be treated by others? Treat others the same way.

It is amazing how this principle still applies in adulthood. It is so much more than a means of conning obedience out of children. It is life lived at its best. What adult does not want respect from others? What adult does not appreciate being treated fairly? Who among us does not value being spoken well of by others?

The tragedy is that we often we forget to live out these words. We can easily fall into the trap of only viewing our own best interest and pursuing what we want. Without this attitude, other people are either responsible to make us happy or barriers that keep us from getting what we want. Yet, how happy are you really when you get your way at the cost of offending another? Unless we stop and remember to live by the Golden Rule, we are likely to miss the joy of real community and living life like Jesus.

No comments: